Tuesday 15 April 2008

Spring socks

Spring has most definitely arrived in Glasgow. There have been a few advance signs for a month or so now - daffodils and crocuses etc, but now it's mild and sunny and I've turned the central heating off. This doesn't mean that we aren't still getting rain, hail, snow and sun all in the space of half and hour (this is Glasgow after all), but the days are brighter, it's light to well past 8pm and things look colourful again.

This change in the daylight has shifted my colour preferences from the warm reds, oranges, pinks and purples I drift towards in winter to cooler blues and greens. These preferences are perfectly summed up in my new socks....


These are my first attempt at Jaywalkers (I can't post a link I'm afraid as MagKnits has been abruptly taken off-line). I was actually very lucky to get the pattern as, though I'd had it bookmarked for ages (maybe even a couple of years), I only downloaded it a day or so before the site was taken down.


The pattern is really simple to knit and fits me very well. I can't believe how long it's taken me to get round to this pattern, I kept putting it off as I thought it looked a bit tricky, and the reality is the opposite.


The yarn is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in colourway 'Icehouse'. This is my first experience with Lorna's Laces and it's beautiful to knit with. As can be seen from the second and third photos (different sides of the same sock) the colour pooling is a bit wierd, but that's not something I worry about too much in socks (at least not enough to rip out a pattern I've been meaning to knit for ages).

No comments: